Now that summer is here, reach for these fresh vegetables and toss a healthy salad together. The great thing about salads is that they are low calorie, and filling too.
#1 Raw Papaya Salad
- 1 small raw papaya peeled and shredded
- 10 pcs cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 green chilli
- One small cup of green beans sliced finely
- Lime juice 4 tbsp
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp toasted peanuts
- Place shredded papaya, cherry tomatoes, beans in a bowl.
- Dressing: mix crushed red chilli flakes, lime juice, honey and salt.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss everything together.
- cold with toasted crushed peanuts on top.
#2 Chickpea-Pepper Salad
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup boiled chickpea or channa
- I cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup roughly chopped rocket
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- ½ tbsp olive oil
Dressing: Mix 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar with 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tsp honey in a jar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil, and toss in the red peppers into the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix chickpea, tomatoes and rocket in a salad bowl, and add cooled pepper-onion mix to this.
- Pour the salad dressing on this, and toss to mix. Top with walnuts before serving.
#3 Cabbage-Apple Salad
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 unpeeled red apple, cored and chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Put the chopped cabbage, apple, carrot, bell peppers and onions in a salad bowl.
- In another bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey and mix. Pour this over the chopped ingredients and season to taste.